My opponent and her supporters are lying about my record. I realize recently in politics facts don’t matter; but I still believe facts matter, and I wanted to share with you the FACTS.
Matter of fact: I have never voted for a large-scale project as a member of the Delray Beach City Commission.
I NEVER voted on these projects; I was not on the Delray Beach Commission when they were approved:
- Atlantic Crossing
- The Aloft hotel
- The Courtyard Marriot
- The Ray Hotel
- Midtown/Sundy house block development
- The Ipic
Holding Developers Accountable – FACTS
- I was the only CRA Board Member to vote for the smaller-village-scale project on West Atlantic Avenue that was by far the number one choice by the selection committee.
- I said NO to allowing another IPIC mistake and crafted a $4 million claw-back clause in the CRA West Atlantic Avenue contract to protect the city’s interests.
- I said NO when developers wanted to build an unreasonably large-scale development on Barwick Road; instead I presented a smaller, more responsible plan for Banyan Cove.
- I voted NO to extend the deadline for a developer attempting a larger site plan revision on West Atlantic Avenue.
- I said NO to a property owner who was suing the city to gain approval to build a 4-story structure on an Atlantic Avenue property.
- I said NO to midtown three times, only to have a previous commission rush it through before I was sworn-in as commissioner.
- I said NO to developers who wanted to build a townhome project on North Swinton Avenue in the Lake Ida neighborhood.
Standing Up for Residents
- I successfully fought for two of the most comprehensive historic preservation ordinances in Delray Beach.
- I saved a historic home from demolition by relocating it behind the CRA.
- I said YES to planting 10,000 trees in Delray Beach.
- I said YES to a smaller, more responsible plan for Banyan Cove.
- I spent two terms on the historic preservation board fighting to maintain the integrity of our historic districts and historic homes.
I have spent hundreds of hours over decades attending every Visioning and Planning Charrettes for our city, ensuring that I understand what these citizen-driven civic plans envision. None of which any of my opponents have ever attended.
I support thoughtful, sustainable, and responsible development.
I know this is a long email, but I believe you deserve the facts before you vote for your next City Commissioner.
To learn more about my record and vision for Delray Beach, visit www.BillBathurst.com.
City Commission, District 2